[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: [Technical] My routing problem

Jon Biddell jon at fl.net.au
Wed May 7 21:38:00 EST 2003

As they say in the movies "Tres piece of piss !!!"

Get a box running Linux (I don't care what - I'd suggest Mandrake or
even Knoppix - Knoppix runs from CD, but if you don't want to go to that
expense, Mandrake you can get for $10)

Chuck 3 x NIC's in it.

Load on Shorewall (iptables configuration program

Load on Webmin (secure administration GUI)

Enjoy !!!

-=> Now my problem is I'm a bit of a bunny when it comes to
-=> TCP/IP routing. I have a rough idea when it comes to making
-=> things secure.  I know full well that to make this
-=> situation work it wouldn't be a good idea to plug my
-=> internet, indoor AP and outdoor APs all into the same
-=> switch.  I want to have access control between networks and
-=> I need firewalls happening.  And I'd like all of the
-=> connections between my laptop and my home PC to go via a VPN.
-=>
-=> I've been looking at router/firewall boxes and it seems
-=> that none of them have the features I'm after.  I suppose I
-=> need a box that can route, do firewalls, do the Bigpond
-=> Advance heartbeat, do VPN server(s) and have 3 WAN ports
-=> (for the net, my rooftop APs, and my indoor AP).
-=>
-=> Can someone suggest a way for me to do this?  Am I making
-=> it sound more complicated than it really is?  Or is it more
-=> complicated? :)
-=>
-=> I'm thinking that the solution is to get another PC with 4
-=> network cards and some routing software.  Then I can run
-=> the BPA Heartbeat, a VPN server (such as CIPE) and other
-=> stuff like ftp servers for the Community Wireless Network.
-=> But it'd be really nice if there was a way to do it all in
-=> an easy-peasy black box.  I am willing to fork out some
-=> bucks for a home/small-business style router if there's one
-=> out there to suit me.
-=>
-=> So any suggestions are appreciated.  I'm guessing there are
-=> others out there with similar setups to mine.
-=>
-=> Dan
-=>