[MLB-WIRELESS] Enclosures

Abe Orchard abeorch at ozemail.com
Sun May 4 16:27:46 EST 2003

I am having real difficulty locating a suitable enclosure for my AP and
associated equipment so that I can locate the AP directly next to the
Antenna on our roof.

I can find heaps of small cases that would fit the AP but none that allow
for real expansion.

Currently my plan is to put the AP in a box with antenna and power
connectors coming out via some sealed holes. Obviously because of its size I
will be weighting it down so it doesn’t blow off the roof.

Ideally I would like to be able to drop in a whole laptop at a later date
with just power an antenna connectors coming out of the box. For this reason
I am thinking of mounting a 4 plug multi-board inside the box to allow a
second or third electrical device to be connected.  I’m guessing that I am
looking for about 500mm*300mm*200mm

My problem is that I cannot find something that is large enough and UV
hardened so it doesn’t break down in the sunlight. Because I am cabling
mains power into the box I want something that’s going to stand up to the
elements, can be opened occasionally but seals properly so I don’t worry if
there is a storm.

I’ve tried the electrical places, Dick Smith and Bunnings (who just had
cheap storage boxes). Does anyone have any idea?

Suggestions very welcome