[MLB-WIRELESS] BIPAC-743: ADSL, 802.11b, 4xEthernet

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 20 21:46:14 EST 2003

After a bit more detective work, I'm guessing the Billion
modems are running Conexant chips.  I would guess the
BIPAC-743 contains a CX82340.  This is an ARM940T
with a PRISM3 MAX, Ethernet MAC and USB on chip.
The rest of Conexant's chips (as used in other Billion
modems) are variations of the theme, with various peripherals
integrated with an ARM940T.  As predicted by Jason, unfortunately
the ARM940T does not have a MMU (it has a MPU=Memory Protection Unit)
so I'm not sure that vanilla flavoured Linux can be ported to
it.  Maybe uCLinux?

It is interesting to note that the firmware comes with
the chip, from Conexant, so chances are the Billion
is pretty well identical to any of the other modems out
there using conexant chip.  Looking around the WWW,
Conexant modems have the same look and feel about their
web based configuration menus, just the manufacturers
logo has been changed.

If anyone's interested, I've written a quick and dirty program
to unpack the '.dlf' files which gets uploaded to the modem.
These are multiple file archives, with a similar function to a
tar file. The archives seem to contain a bunch of web pages,
some plain text 'registry' files containing all sorts of
configuration options, and a compressed vxworks image.  These
is also what appears to be a compressed .dll file of some sort
and in a second archive a binary image for a boot ROM.

Regards
John