[MLB-WIRELESS] TIB reform.

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 17:57:57 EST 2003

Hi vak

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:15 pm, vak wrote:
> I have the following thoughts on the TIB since I've used it heavily to
> offer bulk deals.
>
> 1) If retailers are going to use it, they must offer REAL discounts to
> members. I don't like hearing "i'm doing a service to the community". If
> you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart, then make a
> distrinction between business offerings and TIB offerings.

I agree there should be a difference between purely retail (us as a new
market) and a retailer using their buying power to give us the best deal
(near zero profit).  But I have concerns, particularly about policing this...

> 2) We need a way to authenticate/authorise the advertisers (whether this be
> through the committee). The issue of who was running certain offers has
> come up too many times.
> This is a little bit hairy because liability falls on MW somewhat...

and

> 4) A rating system would be ideal - perhaps even a feedback section for
> each of the advertisers.

OK, rating works to keep the good apples, etc. but how to authenticate?
currently it is buyer beware.

> 3) There needs to be a system whereby offers have to be approved first. We
> have seen this with the many unrelated offers being made via the TIB.
> Having said that, we should probably run a general "Forsale" section that
> is permanently linked from the TIB.

The Incredible Sale (Swap)? (TIS)
The Online Trash and Treasure (TOTT)
and for retail? "Not Only But Also!" (NOBA)
or how about "How Much Would You Expect To Pay?" (HMWYETP)

:-)

> 5) We need the ability to kick someone off the TIB if we believe they have
> acted improperly. A particular case comes to mind - people were complaining
> about an interstate guy who hadn't sent parcels out and who was sending out
> faulty parts.

how? we have no security models in the TIB.

> For crying out loud - an extra few dollars will get you registered post and
> insurance! Use it! It's designed to protect both the sender and the
> receiver.

all I can say is buyer beware adn we are a bunch of cheap skates.  TIB is free
damn it.  Fenn, tell them all to put up or shut up.  If you don't like the
way it works, grab the code off Fenn and try and implement a better way...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
It's a book. Non-volatile storage media. Everyone should have one.