[MLB-WIRELESS] DLink 900+ speed problems in bridge mode (and link up!)

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Wed Mar 12 10:53:38 EST 2003

Hi Vak, David, and Pascal (if you're reading :),

Firstly well done David & Pascal, the use of a 'stink stick' to get the
job done was a brilliant idea! ;)

According to
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/nodes/compare.php?id_1=FKY&id_2=GIS it
says you two have an SOM of 25.42 dB. I thought this was a little high,
so I recalculated it using specs out of the DWL-900AP+ spec sheet from
dlink.com.au. I couldn't find the RX sensitivity, so I guessed it was
around average (-80dBm). I came up with an SOM of 16.5 dB, with
worst-case cable (3dB). You may want to update your locfinder details..
I can forward you my excel calc sheet if you like.

Regardless of that, surely there can't be so much noise in your area to
cause 5.5 Mbps to be the highest rate, unless I'm missing something? If
you can't get 22 Mbps with the stock antennas, and the access points
sitting a few metres apart (with nothing in between), there must be
something wrong with one (or both) of the devices?

Cheers,

 - Simon