[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless networking question

Jason Brice Jason.Brice at kiandra.com
Wed Mar 12 10:18:45 EST 2003

Another possibility is that you have several protocols bound to the NIC on your PC.

IP and IPX are protocols that include a logical addressing layer allowing you to send packets to specific machines (this is a good thing)
NetBIOS or Netbeui are nasty protocols that rely on broadcasting every packet to all machines (this is generally a bad thing and could explain your AP traffic)

Earlier versions of Windows (95/98) like to bind these nasty protocols to your NIC automatically. You could be running one of these broadcast based protocols on your network and not be aware of it.

Check your network settings and unbind these protocols if they appear there.

of course you may not be using windows at all.. ?

jason brice
senior network engineer
kiandra system solutions
level 9, 455 bourke st melbourne vic 3000
(t) +61 3 9600 1639
(f) +61 3 9600 1656