[MLB-WIRELESS] linux ap's

Stygen stygen at wafreenet.org
Tue Jun 24 18:11:30 EST 2003

Geoff O'Callaghan wrote;
>Sent: Tuesday, 24 June 2003 2:32 PM
>To: 'melbwireless'
>Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] linux ap's
>

>G'day,
>
>I probably should read the archives :-)
>
>I'm looking to have a play with linux based AP's - anyone else
>doing it?  It seems that most of the newer wireless cards are
>moving away from the PRISM chipset.  I've done a lot of
>googling and the state of the nation on non-PRISM chipsets and
>'hostap' style processing seems quite limited/non-existent.
>
>Is that a fair summary?  Is anyone playing with linux host
>AP's?  I'm keen to get in and get dirty, but i'd like to find
>out where the linux camp is 'at' presently.  Any pointers appreciated.
>
>Cheers
>Geoff

I have been using HostAP on a DWL520 for the last 18 months or so.  It
has a massive amount of functionality, most of which is described in the
readme at http://hostap.epitest.fi .  I have found it supremely stable
with the dlink card.

There are still prism cards coming out.. Some very very nice ones.  For
the cream of the crop you can grab a Demarc 200mW prism 2.5 at a cool
$139 US!.  For something almost as good try the Senao for < $140 AU.
Each of these cards have two external antennae connectors.

I have just purchased a Senao and will be upgrading my hostap box in a
few weeks.  With a 180 waveguide your power output should be just below
4W (no need for an amp :) ).  With my 360 deg WG and 10m of coax I will
achieve approx 1W output, which should be fine for my purposes.  Couple
that with an 11MB sensitivity of -89 and your laughing (1MB at -95).

I am also currently running hostap and my gateway into the rest of the
freenet on different boxes at the moment.  The new hostap box will also
be my link into WaFreeNet.  It just makes more sense.

Regards,

Stygen