[MLB-WIRELESS] linux ap's

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Tue Jun 24 16:43:06 EST 2003

> G'day,
>
> I probably should read the archives :-)
>
> I'm looking to have a play with linux based AP's - anyone else doing
> it?  It seems that most of the newer wireless cards are moving away from
> the PRISM chipset.  I've done a lot of googling and the state of the
> nation on non-PRISM chipsets and 'hostap' style processing seems quite
> limited/non-existent.
>
> Is that a fair summary?  Is anyone playing with linux host AP's?  I'm
> keen to get in and get dirty, but i'd like to find out where the linux
> camp is 'at' presently.  Any pointers appreciated.

DLink were the major player in the PCI Prism II chipset market with their
DWL-520, but for some unknown reason decided to discontinue the card.

Another option I've found is the http://www.sparklan.com/products_wl360.htm
which has been sourced in Sydney for $120

Not currently aware of hostAP drivers which work with other chipsets
unfortauntely. The manufacturers kinda would cut out a chunk of their AP
market if they did this.

If you find something, let us know!

Regards, Craig Mead
Vice President