[MLB-WIRELESS] Starting up

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri Jun 13 10:20:38 EST 2003

On Wednesday 11 Jun 2003 1:17 pm, Dave wrote:

> Hello to all.
>
> Im just wondering how I go about starting up.

A lot will depend on where you are and what you can see..

> If i make a linux box with a wireless adaptor connected to an antenna
> (depending on distances depends on which one?) And another wirlesss adaptor
> so I can conect through this linux box, how do i go about connecting to the
> Melbourne Wirelesss Network?
>
> Do I have to organise with someone to link/bridge to them?

Basically yes!

I would suggest that the first stage is to register a node with the locfinder
program on the Melbourne Wireless website, or just go to this link:

	http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/nodes/

You don't need to be up and running to do this, you can just put in your
location and mark your node as "interested", or "gathering" if you're
actively scavenging for parts.

This would then give you an idea of distances & compass bearings to other
registered Melbourne Wireless nodes, so you can get some idea of who you may
(or may not) be able to connect to.

Then you can see if you fall into the areas of one of the regional groups,
they may then be able to help you with information about setting up links
locally, or you could just try and contact the nodes near you directly
through locfinder and see what they say.   Oh, the regional groups are at:

	http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/regions/

> This might seam like a stupid question, but im a semi-newbie, who has done
> a bit of reading, but not quite sure.

No, it's not a stupid question!

cheers,
Chris (another newbie to wireless networking)
- --
 Chris Samuel  :  http://csamuel.org/  :  Melbourne, VIC

 Need someone with 10 years of Linux, Unix, Networking
   & IT Security skills in Melbourne, VIC ? Email me.