[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB-23/01/2003

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Jan 24 17:41:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:15 pm, James Healy wrote:
> I think it was Simon Butcher that proposed on the list a month or two
> back that maybe we can standadise a "public access channel". ie. once
> nodes are interconnected with whatever method they want, they offer an
> omni on channel 1 with the same SSID as everyone else to standadise
> how people can connect.
>
> Hmm.. does all that make sense? mebbe not :)

I noticed something the other day... something really quite interesting...

out of US, europe and Japan (and Aust) only the last has access to all 14
channels, even if the top ones are power limited...

why is this important?
well, you can only have adjacent channels more than 3 apart...

that means you can have 1, 5, 9, and 13 (or, adding 1 to each, 2, 6, 10, and
14). that is 4 colours... er channels.. in a given geographic area... right?
so how many colours does it take to fill in a map?

I would like to suggest that MW try to limit itself to using either of these
sets of signals only...1,5,9,and 13, and... 2,6,10 and 14.  this means that
if you want to carve out new wireless territory (homesteading the wireless
wilderness) and you impinge on someone elses footprint, you can choose from
the maximum number of channels for the lowest interference (lowest noise,
greatest throughput)...

someone do a sanity check on this for me...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?