[MLB-WIRELESS] Smart Amps??

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Jan 22 14:01:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:12:36PM +1100, Simon Butcher wrote:

> However, if you really need a run longer than 14 meters (LMR-400), get
> better cable! LMR-500 runs can be up to 17 meters, LMR-600 for just over
> 21 meters, LMR-900 for just over 31 meters..
>
> I believe it'll cost less than buying a _good quality_ amplifier, and be
> a far better investment.

i know that LMR-400 is under $5/metre....any idea of price for the
thicker cables?  rojone's web site doesn't seem to have prices for them.

the attenuation calculator at:

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl

indicates that a run-length of 55 feet (17m) of LMR-900 would lose only
1.6dB @2.462GHz.  with LMR-400, that would be 37dB.  LMR-600 would be
2.4dB.

my guess is that i'd need somewhere between 15 & 17m to get from my
firewall to the top of my mast.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>