[MLB-WIRELESS] Smart Amps??

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Tue Jan 21 23:12:36 EST 2003

> To get around the signal loss of using LMR-Cable down to your
> AP or linux box, has anyone purchased an amp or smart amp?
> Someone was telling me you could put a smart amp in a box say
> on your antenna mast, run cable from the smart amp down to
> your AP, say in your roof/room, and the smart amp will still
> pump out 1 watt of power no matter what the signal loss is.
> Going price around $1000-$1500.  Can anyone confirm this, or
> had any experience with any kinds of amps with wireless devices.

Argh!!! <insert amps are devil spawn thread here>

If cable is the problem, and all you want to do is keep below the
half-power (-3dB) threshold, then an amp is not the way to go, IMHO.

Your first option, and the most common, is to somehow mount the access
point on the mast itself.

However, if you really need a run longer than 14 meters (LMR-400), get
better cable! LMR-500 runs can be up to 17 meters, LMR-600 for just over
21 meters, LMR-900 for just over 31 meters..

I believe it'll cost less than buying a _good quality_ amplifier, and be
a far better investment.

Cheers,

 - Simon