[MLB-WIRELESS] Converting Building owners

Nick Sibbing nick.sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Wed Jan 22 10:33:32 EST 2003

Dean Collins wrote:

> Lol, you are aware of how much money building owners make from rooftop
> rental. The most expensive contract I ever paid was 10k pa for a 1meter x 1
> meter x 1 meter cube on Australia square.
Joris wrote

> Has anyone practical experience on how to convert building owners to the
> wireless side? (with obvious goals of allowing rooftop wifi)
>
> Any persuasive arguments? (free email, free internet?) Any pitfalls to
> avoid? Special techniques?

Tell them it uses the same frequency as baby monitors and transportable
phones so they get an idea of safe low power. (Microwave has very bad
connotations never use the "M" word)

Appeal to PR and community benefit interests rather than financial gain.
This is our great advantage as a community organisation. We can't really
offer much in the way of financial or other connectivity benefits
anyway. So play to the advantage we have that commercial interests
don't. Unless we have contacts on the inside we won't get Rialto type
locations anyway but we might get any one of 20 householders on Mt
Dandenong to agree.

The big unsolved problem here is probably public liability insurance but
I think some building owners would still ignore this if the risks seem
tiny and the community benefit is there.

Regards Nick Sibbing