[MLB-WIRELESS] mast receive amp

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Fri Jan 17 18:12:18 EST 2003

> Hi all,
> You can get receive amplifiers for TV installations - do they exist for
> 2.4GHz too?
> Just wondering whether there would be any great benefit if you have coax
> running all the way down into your box, as opposed to sitting an AP up on
> the mast.
> microgram have a 20dB/0.5W 2.4GHz amplifier advertised, as well as being a
> power amp it also has a receive amp.
> Also in their catalogue are 100mW and 200mW wireless cards, and a 13.5dBi
> omni antenna (horizontal polarization)
> Cheers.

Dirty little man, talking about those foul gadgets.
Every time someone buys an ISM amp, Satan eats a baby.
Amps are evil, evil I tell you.

seriously tho, thought-police caricatures aside, the decent ISM amps are mounted
at the antenna to minimize SNR and loss. Plus they're bidirectional. Receive
only amps don't make lots of sense in most circumstances, but a good
bidirectional amp is a boon to those in wireless-unfriendly areas.
HyperLink I think they are in the US make better ones.
But I've been thinking of getting an MGram amp, they look ok.
See I can talk about amplifiers because I'm going to hell anyways ;)

later

ben