[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11g Starts Answering WLAN Range Questions

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Jan 17 09:51:10 EST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:43 pm, Matt Pearce wrote:
> Very interesting reading.  One thing I did manage to extrapolate from the
> whole lot is that the xMbps is really a useless figure.  I wonder if there
> is anyway to force the companies that make all the gear to rate actual
> kB/sec at set gains so we could actually sort through all the crap and
> really get to the crux of the matter without having to buy first ??
snip

> my 2 cents, anyone care to comment ??

yeah, I will.

it seems to me that legislation, etc. are a poor tool for this.  much more
useful would be to do the experiments with actual equipment and see what we
get.  then publish the data on the melb wireless website for everyone to see.
at veryleast this will attract attention to community wireless...

I quite liked the info posted recently showing the speed-distribution map for
an office space.  something like that is what I have in mind, though perhaps
not so detailed...

e.g.
maker/model
room to room in standard office space (by meter or number of rooms)
clear space distance (1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, 20m, 50m, 100m, 200m, 500m)
different antennas - inbuilt, 2dBi omni, 8dBi omni, 24 dBi conifer.
repeat a statistical number of times (*grin*)
compare results to stated specs.

sounds like a reasonable communitee project to me...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?