[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: [Syd-Wireless] World's Longest Wi-Fi Connection Made by The Swedish Space Corporation

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Jan 15 10:23:53 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Jason Tedesco wrote:

> > 310km...wow can we do better? it looks like it could solve a lot of
> > problems. could it?
>
> Instead of just doing something like this better, we could make it
> better by using linking up Melbourne wireless and Sydney wireless.
> Has anything like this been discussed? ( And I don't mean just a few
> E-Mail or irc sessions saying it's a good idea).

While this is a good idea, there are a few things to take into
consideration here ...

The setup they were using was over free space to an object that was
around 29.7 Km's high. Since the signal was effectively going up, there
is less chance of interference that we would experience over the
ground. Also, they were outputting at 6 Watts, we are limited to 4 Watts
EIRP.

Over the 1000 odd Km's between Melbourne and Sydney, curvature of the
earth and interference from other sources would come into effect. Having
said that, noise in the 2.4 GHz in rural areas is generally less.

A setup like that would not likely be cost effective, and would require
an extememe amount of hacking of the cards to get them to work over that
distance.

What is relatively easily achievable at the moment is links of around
50Km's or so, which may eventially get us a link between Melbourne and
Sydney with enough hops, but I am sure that those links would get
spammed quite easily, as opposed to one's bridged over the internet from
multiple points.

Despite what I have said here, I think it's a cool idea, but not really
an achievable one.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----