[MLB-WIRELESS] RFEI: Hills 25dBi antennae

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Tue Jan 14 14:21:17 EST 2003

Hey Matt :)

> I believe I would probably get one or 2 myself as well.  I am
> thinking about trying to make a repeater out of 2 antenna's
> and 2 of the D-Link 900 AP's.
> :-)

Hmm, if the distance is short (such as, you're trying to get over a
hill) then you could try building a make-shift passive repeater out of
two parabolic antennae and a bit LMR-400 between them. Theoretically it
works, but I'm no expert with passive repeaters.

Real passive repeaters, in my understanding, are large flat objects
which look like big bill-boards. Supposedly one of those things can
offer fantastic signal gain if it's well designed! I think two parabolic
dishes and a bit of cable between them would be an attenuation point,
though, but still a possibility for jumping over things at short
distances?

Help, where are the RF experts? *looks in Tony's direction* :)

> Matt.

Thanks for your interest :) If I get a few more replies I'll most likely
go ahead with it..

 - Simon