[MLB-WIRELESS] You guys know much about this stuff from DLINK - D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Jan 9 12:24:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:41:02AM +1100, Matt Pearce wrote:
> As far as I am aware this gear is based on the 802.11g standard,
> although if you note what the product is promoted as there is no
> mention that it is 802.11g so I would be a little careful with it as
> you might end up stuck with gear that only works with other DLink
> products at that speed or normal 802.11b.

the PDF spec sheets list "IEEE 802.11g-Draft" as one of the standards
supported, along with 802.11 and 802.11b.

can't see that 802.11g makes much difference to us, anyway.  we're not
going to get anywhere near that kind of speed over any reasonable
distance (i.e. >= 0.5Km).  1 or maybe 2Mbps is probably as good as
anyone's going to get.

also from the spec sheet:

54Mbps -68dbm
.
.
.
1Mbps  -89dbm

i think you'd have to have the 802.11g devices sitting within a few feet
of each other to get 54Mbps out of them....and if you're that close, why
not use a 100baseT card and a full-duplex switch?

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.