[MLB-WIRELESS] RF noise reduction

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Thu Feb 20 15:59:24 EST 2003

At 6:22 PM +1100 19/2/03, John Dalton wrote:

>  > if I can get a
>>  link up with an 8db omni, the link is say East of me, am I going to screw
>>  up my reception if I surround the north/south/west sides of the antenna
>  > with something RF absorbing (I'm thinking a plastic of some sort).
>
>If you replace your absorbers
>with reflectors in an effort to conserve power, you have a (drum
>roll please)...
>directional antenna!

Make it a parabola horizontally (around the omni), flat vertically
(ie parallel to the omni), with the omni at the focal point of the
parabola.  It can even be made out of mesh for lower wind resistance
as long as the mesh is smaller than, um, a certain size.  By the look
of the Galaxies around the place an inch or two square is OK.

--
   insert twee, inoffensive .sig joke