[MLB-WIRELESS] Colorbond/roof insulation interference.

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Wed Feb 19 09:19:09 EST 2003

>>Anyone know if you can take the attenuation of the colorbond into account
in
>>EIRP calculations?

>depends on the colour...

Well, regardless of all this I tried it anyway last night.

Lets say I got a few questions from the boss about "why is your computer in
the roof?" ;)

I used the roamabout client util which shows the signal level. Not the most
scientific way that im testing it but anyway.

Normal in-card antenna (server next to client)
-53dB (connection excellent)

with omni attached to server (server next to client)
-55dB (connection excellent)

with omni attached to server (server in roof, client out front on the
street)
-78dB (connection good)

with omni attached to server (server in roof, client out front on the
street)
-68dB (connection good)

with omni attached to server (server in roof, client down the road )
-90 (connection marginal)

with omni attached to server (server in roof, client in garage no colorbond
in between)
-58dB (connection excellent)

So, I could have the omni in the roof but it would only server the local
houses around me and probably not nearly as many as it would from the roof
top mounting.

Lucas