[MLB-WIRELESS] Directional antenna's - non LOS.

Lucas Chan lucas at sitepoint.com.au
Tue Feb 11 15:00:03 EST 2003

I was thinking about attempting setting up a wireless connection with a
colleague of mine.  However, there's a tall block of flats in between us.

Has anyone had any success with using directional (c)antenna's to connect 2
points that don't have LOS?  The distance between us is 820m and the flats
are fairly narrow.

To put it another way.  My understanding of wlan technology is that with
omni-direction antenna's you can connect through walls, but over a tiny
distance.  Can I use directional antenna's to connect through walls (well -
a building) over a longer distance?

There's also the possibility that the flats may impact only slightly or not
at all on the direct LOS.  In this case, over the 820m distance how much
effect would you imagine the building would have if it's within the fresnel
zone?

Obviously the connection quality would not be that great.  But, even 1 or
2Mbps would still be cool.  No one seems to have really discussed this
anywhere (perhaps because it's a stupid idea).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

[ lucas ]