[MLB-WIRELESS] Waterproof Boxes & IP Allocation

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Tue Apr 29 11:38:53 EST 2003

Hi Dan,
you can apply for a block of melbourne wireless compatible and approved ;)
ip numbers on the edit node page of the node database.
Yes, an IP block is a range of IP addresses that your node can use, we are
allocating a range of addresses reserved for private use. If you have a
look at the pages on the melbourne wireless wiki site you will get a bit
more information.

the /28 is sort of an abbreviation for the subnet mask you get given a
range of 16 (I think??) so 10.10.144.128/28 is equal to 10.10.144.128 &
10.10.144.129 etc etc all the way up to 10.10.144.12.144
ie /28 = a subnet mask 255.255.255.240 (don't kill me if I've got this
wrong guys).

There are 16 IP addresses in that range, the two at either end are reserved
for stuff* and that leaves you with 14 to assign to hosts/clients.

Matt

*stuff = things I sorta understand but not willing to risk my crap
reputation trying to explain.