[MLB-WIRELESS] Network Structure - Was Re: Anyone know these people?

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 24 22:46:01 EST 2003

There's are 2 points to this.... Both totally contradict each other....

1) High points are great, they cover lots of people, and get some
networking happen very quickly, and also spur on growth of the CWN.
Links appear everywhere, and the network starts to grow *very* rapidly.
This model assumes most people hook up to high-point AP's... Which makes
sence considering they would cover more people...

2) Such as point 1, but the network will buckle under the strain and the
"fast" speeds of Wifi will peak out around 50k/sec at most - the network
folds in on itself, and thus becomes useless....

Opinions? Comments? Facts? Disagree? Feel free to discuss :)

Dan Flett wrote:

>Hi Abe,
>
>In the organisation of a Melbourne community network I believe higpoints are
>beneficial as backbone links but probably aren't well suited as general
>access APs.  I don't know how many clients an AP can support at any one time
>but it can't be that many. (Anyone?) I suppose you'd need to set up an
>organised distribution system whereby certain people out in the burbs link
>to the distant highpoints, and then distribute the network in their local
>area.  Not that such a system precludes the suburbs linking to each other,
>rooftop to rooftop.
>
>Dan

Signed,
Steven Haigh
http://wireless.org.au
(Visit https://wireless.org.au to install our Root Certificate.)

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.