[MLB-WIRELESS] propriety AP vs homemade linux box

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Sep 30 22:22:09 EST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:47:47PM +1200, Steve Wright wrote:
> I would have thought a homemade Linux box (StrongARM/PC-104/PCMCIA
> slots) would be cheaper than a dedicated, proprietry AP - but am I wrong ?
>
> Clearly, such a homemade system would be more versatile/configurable,
> but cheaper ?

You obviously haven't tried to buy a StrongARM/PC-104 before... $500 for an
AP is _cheap_. The only reason to build your own is so you know exactly
what's in the box. It's not cheaper.

Having said that, the VIA EPIA MB's at $250 with CPU for a 17cm x 17cm
fanless board is pretty damn good value.

But if you want budget, you can't beat second-hand 486 systems... not
exactly small though.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key