[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Laptop Docking station - extra pcmcia sockets problem.

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Fri Sep 27 09:10:02 EST 2002

well, just for refrerence I got it working finally!

after alot of help from Ian Donaldson (Thanks mate!) we figured out that
the "extra_sockets" parameter wasn't being passed to the modprobe command.
The actual problem ended up being that the startup scripts on mandrake 8.2
don't allow for any pcmcia module options!

So, in /etc/init.d/pcmcia I just modified the line :

/sbin/modprobe $PCIC

/sbin/modprobe $PCIC $PCIC_OPTIONS

and put

PCIC_OPTS='extra_sockets=1' in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia

Too easy in the end! :)

Lucas

This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           lkhoo at csc.com.au       |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           owner-melbwireless at wire|
|         |           less.org.au            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           26/09/2002 11:26 AM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                               |
  |        To:      melbwireless at wireless.org.au                                                                  |
  |        cc:                                                                                                    |
  |        Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Laptop Docking station - extra pcmcia sockets problem.                     |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

btw: yes i realise the time is wrong on the machine ;)

bios battery or something must be running low on power or something.

Lucas

|         |           Lucas Khoo       |
|         |           26/09/2002 10:30 |

  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:      melbwireless at wireless.org.au
  |
  |       cc:
  |
  |       Subject: Laptop Docking station - extra pcmcia sockets
  problem.(Document link: Lucas Khoo)             |

  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have a toshiba 480CDT with docking station.

I need to be able to use atleast 3 of the 4 pcmcia sockets that the machine
has (2 in laptop, 2 in docking station). In this machines previous life as
a windows machine they all worked. 2 wireless cards (omni + direction
galaxy) and 1 ethernet.

Under mandrake 8.2 I can't seem to get the pcmcia startups to see these 2
extra ports on the docking station. The 2 on the laptop itself work fine.

I have hunted around on the internet and have found a few things about
pcmcia services.

Firstly, my machine makes use of a standard i82365 controller. As such
there is a web site that listed the extra parameters for this module.

pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/man/i82365.4.html

On this page it says to :

extra_sockets=n
A flag indicating if the driver should probe for as many as eight ISA
sockets, or stop after checking for four sockets. The default is 0 (stop at
four sockets). Systems with two independent ISA-to-PCMCIA controllers (say,
one internal and one in a docking station) may require this flag to be set,
even though they have a total of only four sockets. If this flag is set,
then poll_interval will automatically be enabled.

Now, in the /etc/init.d/pcmcia there is a section that checks the dist of
linux it is running on. As mandrake is much like red hat it runs the
/etc/sysconig/pcmcia to put a few environment variables into memory before
executing the "insmod" commands.

To add that extra parameter "extra_sockets" i edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
and put in PCIC_OPTS="extra_sockets=1".

But when the machine boots I don't seen to even try and scan 4 sockets.

Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: Linux Kernel Card Services Kernel Version
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: options: [pci] [cardbus] [pm]
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
***--->   Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: Intel i82365sl B step ISA-to-PCMCIA
at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: host opts [0]: none
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: host opts [1]: none
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,5,7,9,10,12 status
change on irq 10
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding
0x220-0x22f 0x330-0x337 0x378-0x37f 0x388-0x38f 0
x480-0x48f 0x4d0-0x4d7
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c589, io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr
00:60:97:8E:F4:5B
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: 8K FIFO split 5:3 Rx:Tx, auto xcvr
Sep 27 13:17:29 koops kernel: eth0: flipped to 10baseT

Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Thanks

Lucas