[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Here comes the pain...

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Sat Sep 21 20:58:14 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 19:37, sanbar wrote:
> OK, let's try and be realistic for a moment. At most the Starbucks and
> McDonald's, Hudsons and Mary Martins of the world will probably do is to
> put a 2dBi/30mW commercial AP - we're not talking high-end gear like
> Cisco here - on the end of a dial-up account, pay 18 cents a meg and
> charge the customer 30 cents a meg. It's not as though they'll be
> pushing out packets at DSL speeds. After all, they have to make money
> off it.
> Alston says innovation. I say white noise.
> - Barry

I think you're wrong there.  Most "name brand" companies are going to be
doing deals with wisps.  Particularly, they're going to be doing deals
with largish wisps, who _are_ using good gear (cisco or similar), and
_are_ rolling good-sized links into the companies in question (aDSL
being an obvious choice).  Don't expect companies like starbucks to be
hacking up a solution in-house - it doesn't make sense (not least
because any given wisp is going to have more advertising power in the
wisp space than any given restaurant chain).

KevinL