[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11a gear -anyone played with any?

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Fri Sep 20 09:19:57 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Tristan Gulyas wrote:

> I've had the opportunity to play with the Cisco Aironet 1200 series
> AP (dual mode!)  and AIR-CB20A cardbus 54Mbit NIC.  The gear uses
> frequencies betwee 5.180GHz and 5.3(something)GHz depending on
> channel.

Just as a note, it is illegal to use the 802.11a based equipment using
that frequency outdoors .. At around 5.7 Ghz there are 11 channels
available to use up to 1 Watt EIRP outdoors, but the equipment is not
yet widely available, not cheaply anyway.

I've seen bridges go for $10K a pair.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----