[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Nov 29 14:51:56 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:43:10PM +1100, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > Doesn't take away from those getting DNS server addresses from DHCP
> > requests on cable/DSL connections... and that is where the stumbling
> > block is...
>
> Point taken, but that's only for one host on the network...  How much
> of a problem that is depends on the network attached to it (in my
> case, it has a very minor influence).

this is just another instance of the "unofficial domains are/are-not
worthless" debate.

as has been shown numerous times over the years, anyone can create a new
DNS hierarchy - and make any top level domains (TLDs) they want (e.g.
.wireless, .foo, .bar, and as an interesting case in point ".biz").

the trouble, as has also been demonstrated numerous times, is that it is
next to worthless because you can't resolve any names in those domains
unless you reconfigure your client and/or your nameserver to make use of
the alternative hierarchy.  even worse, there's always a chance that
your alternative TLD will become an official/mainstream TLD - e.g. the
".biz" domain which caused a fair amount of grief for those who were
suckered into buying them.

now, back to wireless network issues:

on the wireless network, we're going to have two main kinds of nodes.

those with existing internet connections, and those without.

those who have existing internet connections are not going to change
their DNS configuration just to be able to see some unofficial TLDs.
what they have now works, and there's no reason to change, especially
when changing may end up breaking their existing setup.
in short: a real domain works for them, unofficial ones don't.

those who don't have an internet connection are going to get their IP
allocated by DHCP (or possibly by manual configuration of IP/netmask,
gateway, and DNS server).  it makes no difference to these users.
in short: either real or unofficial domains will work.

so, you can have a DNS setup that works for everyone.  or one that only
works for some.

personally, i feel that any system that doesn't work reliably, all the
time, in all reasonable circumstances is just plain broken.  an
incorrect partial solution is worse than no solution at all.

for me, the real clincher in the argument is that most of the nodes
which will end up providing services like DNS (and, e.g., email gateways
if/when it becomes legal*) to the rest of the wireless network are those
that have existing (probably permanent, whether modem, isdn, cable, or
adsl) internet connections, and already have moderately complicated
routing, dns, etc configurations on their own LAN.

* this is one service that absolutely requires a real, globally visible
domain.  you can't send email to an address unless you can resolve the
domain-name to an A or MX record.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>