[MLB-WIRELESS] Access Point in a box

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Fri Nov 29 13:54:31 EST 2002

Michael said:

>Hi there,
>I am toying with the idea of moving my newly  acquired DWL900AP+ into a
nice fibreglass electrical enclosure and putting it up  my TV antenna mast.
My main concern is heat.  I can imagine that the  inside of the box >can
get quite hot even on a slightly sunny day.  How do  you all find this?
(those that have this type of arrangement). The last thing I  want is my AP
dying from heat exhaustion!!
>i had two ideas to combat the problem, first  is to pump cool air from
inside the house, up 20mm flexible conduit,  circulate it in the box then
out through a vent in the bottom.
>Second, and much more technical, is to use a  Peltier semiconductor heat
pump to basically turn the box into a mini  fridge.  This would require a
separate power cable as they draw more  current than could be >supplied via
PoE.
>Any thoughts??
>Michael.
>VK5ZEA.

How about some insulation inside the box? Possibly use two boxes with a
"sandwitch" of insulation inbetween the two boxes(packingfoam/peanuts, roof
ceiling batt?).

Hmm, even easier how about expanding foam? The stuff that comes in cans and
is used around pipes etc. Just remember to make a removable hatch so that
you can access the AP.

Lucas