[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Nov 28 16:23:42 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 07:12:36PM +1100, Tom Parker wrote:
> Has anyone suggested autogenerating some kind of DNS entries for nodes
> from the database.  I would say it won't be that long before we get
> sick of referring to nodes by IP addresses and want to use DNS.
> Something like nodefmp.melbourne.wireless.org.au or should we get
> melbwireless.org and go for nodefmp.melbwireless.org (melbwireless.*
> is available)?  It could be public or private DNS.  I think public
> would be better since that would allow resolution using the internet
> when an internal server might not be accessible to all nodes for a
> while.

i own the "vic.asn.au" domain (*) and was thinking of giving hostnames
and/or subdomains in "wireless.vic.asn.au" to any melbourne wireless
members who wanted them.

i haven't decided yet whether to bother setting up a dyndns service for
this or not.  it'd be less maintainence for me, but i personally don't
like dynamic dns (i think it's an ugly kludge).

for now, if anyone wants a hostname or subdomain, email me with the
details (name, A, MX, and/or NS records etc) and i'll set it up.

(*) i registered vic.asn.au last year when asn.au and org.au went
commercial, in order to provide free domain registrations for victorian
community groups.  most can barely afford a dialup or web hosting, so
saving $88/2 years for domain registration is very useful.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.