[MLB-WIRELESS] Ack, dag nabbit! the mailing list is ruined my emailaddress.

Matt Chipman mkchipman at optushome.com.au
Tue May 28 23:41:12 EST 2002

> I think, that as an organisation, wireless.org.au, has an obligation to
protect
> its members (and members of its mailing lists) from this type of thing.
This is
> covered under privacy legislation, and the group should look at this VERY
> carefully, or find ourselves left _WIDE_ open legally with respect to
privacy
> issues.

I disagree.

Melbourne Wireless's obligation is to distribute information regarding
wireless networks.

You agreed that there was a posibility of getting your email address spammed
when you joined the list.  If you did not think this would happen (when you
joined)then you found out that it was a possibiliy (once you had joined)
then you should leave the list.

Melbourne Wireless does not need nor deserve the responsibility of this
scenario.

You would have to prove you have used this email address only on this list
and nowhere else **EVER**  and that would involve the cooperation of the
spammer.

Good Luck!

> Steven, Tyson, et al, I suggest that you look into this as a matter of the
utmost
> urgency, before somebody gets really nasty about it.

I would suggest you talk to your ISP about using MAPS or similar.  There are
plenty of Anti Spamm software out there including reporting and tracing
tools.

Spam is a reality

-Matt