[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbournes Broadband Enquiry Submission

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Wed May 22 17:54:30 EST 2002

---snip---

Barry wrote:
> | It's too late to complain. Some of us have put a great deal
> | of time and effort into this. You should have said or done
> | something sooner.
> | It was well publicised internally, and interaction and
> | comment was invited numerous times via IRC and the mailing
> | list. There is no excuse for complaints.
---snip---

Craig replied:
---snip---
> As for IRC, I have been idling in the channel for a while and
> have seen a few comments regarding the enquiry and while I
> understand I may have missed someone pasting the final
> submission file, a channel which has 20 - 30 members hardly
> constitutes a broad enough cross section of M/W's full
> memeber base (which in the submission claims be representing
> thousands of people accross Australia and New Zealand).

The working groups were created to focus the energies of interested
individuals into a workable form, in this case, "WGInquiry".  If you were
indeed interested in contributing to the submission on behalf of Melbourne
Wireless, then you should have joined WGInquiry.  Since you did not join the
group, I am hardly surprised that you are largely unaware of what is going
on in regards to the submission.

Regarding the member base, I am very aware that many people who are
interested are not necessarily on the node database or subscribed to the
mailing list.  I know that of the 8 people I know (met outside of wireless
context) who are interested (have visited the web site), 2 are in the node
database, and only 1 of these 2 is subscribed to the mailing list.  That
puts my estimate at 4 times the number in the node database, or 8 times the
number subscribed to the mailing list.  I think that puts my estimates in
line with Steve's - about 1600 to 2400 people.  Remember, we have no rule on
who is a member at this stage... so any idea of what constitutes our member
base is only going to be an estimate for the moment.

Regards,
Tyson.

   Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
 Treasurer at wireless.org.au