[MLB-WIRELESS] [NODEEAI] Backbone Idea - Highrise Housing

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Fri May 17 11:29:09 EST 2002

I've been tossing thoughts around my head for the last week since the
meeting about sydney, TIB & large number of interstate customers,
wireless aims and objectives.

as far as I am concerned we are trying to do "free" wireless access in
the sense of accessable to everyone, and open source definitions, not
zero cost.  Perhaps a better description would be something like "low
cost of entry, open community, cool toy networks". :-)

yeah well...

we have a couple of things to bear in mind.
1) cost of entry is not low, but due to bulk buys and community
co-operation, it is getting affordable.
2) at the moment it is a tech hobby.  Merely have to look at the gender
bias at the meetings to know that.  this makes access difficult for the
bulk of the population and hence an inherently speciallist activity.
 (This is not neccessarily a problem as long as we are aware of our
limitations and respect those limitations and or address them
appropriately.)
3) this is an Australia wide activity.  sure, concentrated in local
areas, esp. where pop concentrated.  I reckon there are at least some
guiding principals we can all agree on...  be interesting to see how a
national body idea sits with people.  have to remind ourselves that it
is not just a sydney/melbourne game.  cost of ownership goes up as you
move out of the cities...

I don't know about youall, but if this wireless thing fails in say a
year (either due to bandwidth crowding, legislation, lawsuits, or lack
of interest) it still would have been a worth while activity to be
involved in...

On 05/15/02 11:45 PM, Toliman wrote:

>>>I thought our stated objective was free internet for the masses.
>>>
>yeah, it could be. it's not our objective, but it can be your objective. the
>ability of wifi will not achieve that all-encompassing requirement, the
>network has flaws in it's current implementation that make that idea
>difficult to achieve (ask WGRouting for reasons why). it is not as easy or
>as reliable as setting up the GSM or the 3G mobile phone cell networks. in
>that sense, it's also a lot cheaper than 3G or alternative radio networks
>for the data throughput that is possible in WiFi.

and yeah, I 'spect I'll get flamed for not joining the structure group
and or posting to the correct forum.

just out of curiosity, why is that the case?  I can understand having a
wireless structure WG but not banning structure disc. from the general
list.  isn't the del. key used to remove subjects you are not interested in?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au