[MLB-WIRELESS] [NODEEAI] Backbone Idea - Highrise Housing

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Wed May 15 23:45:53 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Abbenhuys" <sneeze at alphalink.com.au>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [NODEEAI] Backbone Idea - Highrise Housing
> I believe the word "Internet" is blasphemous currently when talking about
> Melbwireless.
>
> At this stage the Internet will have nothing to do with Melbwireless until
> there is some concrete information provided by the ACA.
>
> am I right people?
>
> think "Intranet" not "Internet"

I believe its all in the way you roll it out. right now, people are trying
to sell air, and they don't realise it. by that, i refer to line-of sight
and radio spectrums that are not able to be restricted or legally
obtainable. The network in the 2.4ghz spectrum is not private, it's
available, quite dodgy and it's available to whatever device chooses to use
it. wireless does not have permanence, or tangible permanence, and most of
the routing solutions, and business solutions require some kind of
permanence. selling access to a network that can die when a cordless phone
is picked up 2km away is not a great business asset.

> > I thought our stated objective was free internet for the masses.
yeah, it could be. it's not our objective, but it can be your objective. the
ability of wifi will not achieve that all-encompassing requirement, the
network has flaws in it's current implementation that make that idea
difficult to achieve (ask WGRouting for reasons why). it is not as easy or
as reliable as setting up the GSM or the 3G mobile phone cell networks. in
that sense, it's also a lot cheaper than 3G or alternative radio networks
for the data throughput that is possible in WiFi.

the other point i.e. freedom is great, but there's no security, no guarantee
of performance or stability, etc. and it's hard to make decisions on a
network that is not "always on". although it has more reliability than
telstra DSL, it's not designed to be permanent, even with 24dbi antennae
pointed across a stretch of uninhabited desert, there's no guarantee. i
would hazard to say, it's hard to sell the idea of intranet access without
any guarantee of performance, or service, and then get people to use
wireless hardware that does not provide any initial benefit other than
create a large eyesore on the roof/backyard to play games. those problems
can be easily solved with some creative thinking, theres plenty of ideas on
how to "dress up" wireless and offer it as a solution, and not just a hobby
/ ad-hoc geeks network.

offering the interweb (aka the 'net/Internet) is up to the discretion of the
node.
You can do it, just don't advertise. or sell it.

that way it still falls within the ACA guidelines to some small degree. if
someone was to donate the $10,000 to obtaining a carrier license, we would
offer some kind of sputnik/boingo/whatever
free-internet-with-mild-discretion (i.e. routing, caching, security, speed
restriction, local services, etc.) setup, with the addition of routing (
OSPF/zebra/nocat auth ) and dialup links to connect everywhere and everyone.
but so far, no dosh for internet access, no need for internet access, no
internet access.

until it's entirely allowed by the relevant ACA standards bodies, which isnt
going to happen unless the submission makes some very exclusive "roaming
public wireless networks" type of exclusion ( which would be nice to push as
a practical ideal ) that kind of idea needs to be fleshed out for the
submission though, and i havent had the time to look into the details or
participate fully.

(some of this is indeed, FAQworthy. if it isnt already covered, it should
be.)

Toliman.