[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Wed May 15 14:49:13 EST 2002

hey this reply to all thing is doing my head in.  Can people just reply
to the list? I'm getting multiple copies of everything. I take the
effort, can't you?

Tony Langdon wrote:

> > Today is stupid day for Dwayne.
> >
> > The last sentence made no sense to me. Why would they DoS the station
> > whenever someone pressed the green button?
>
> Ego trip - same reason why ppl deface web sites.

Ooooh, yeah, of course. I thought you meant the station would be
annoying the locals and they'd take action or something.  :-/

> Hotspots are different.  There, you're dealing with a localised AP, not
> trying long haul links.  I wouldn't mind hotspots at stations...  Would take
> the lappy with me :-)

But this is exactly what I'm talking about.  There'd be a local hot
spot, but as to how the stations are connected, I'm not sure. I'd be
shocked if the railway doesn't have fibre running along the line
already, if they don't, it could be put in, or perhaps directional links
could be used?

But I'm talking about an omni sitting on the station, linked (somehow)
into a network which sends out train timetable diffs.

what is it about the man with a hammer seeing a world of nails?   :)

Dwayne