Network defences, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

Ben Anderson a_neb at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 20 10:38:26 EST 2002

> > 1.  Haven't learnt how to use wiki yet.  Intend to soon.
>
> Try it, it's fun, easy and very useful.  You might even get addicted.
It's
> like having a blank wall to post notices on. :-)  If you have a look,
it'll
> only take you a minute or two to get started (not exaggerating, it _is_
that
> simple).

Dog do simple.  Irritating though.

> > 2.  Been using #melb-wireless.  It's difficult to talk about a complex
> > scenario on irc, as state quickly disappears from the
> > conversation...  long
> > paragraphs are needed, and peoples attentions wander to other
> > things.  Email
> > is a lot more appropriate for hardcore serious discussions.
>
> Agreed, you can't easily go into great depth on IRC.  IRC is best for
really
> fast real time events and social interaction. :)

Or flame wars ;)
Or fighting script kiddies trying to 0wN your ass...

> > I'll wait for consensus on the issue, if you don't mind.
>
> I think we've covered a goood bit of ground, and discussion here has been
> quite productive.  However, the same old thing going round in circles does
> get a little stale, and it might be a good time to move to the wiki, with
> some of the finer points being discussed in here.  The wiki has the
longest
> persistence of any of the media we use here, and is well suited to this
long
> term goal stuff.

Agreed...  the intent of my communication thus far has been to get to a
respectable sized audience to bounce feasability ideas off, which the
correspondence so far has achieved well.

Crazy people thinking "take it off list" comments are more on-topic than
actual wireless routing technology discussion *grin*

> In other words, it's on topic here, but we may want to setup base camp on
> the wiki, where there's less passing traffic and we can establish things
> better without getting too much in the way of others.  Important
> developments can be posted back to the list as needed. :)

Yep, in the consolidation phase...

Ben.