[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Security issues -was- Applications

Ben Anderson a_neb at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 20 07:20:43 EST 2002

> >At least by encrypting everything we've protected
> >individual nodes by the difficulty of actually policing the network.
>
> no, we've protected individual nodes by the impossibility of *their*
> knowing what the traffic contains.  this is legal protection, rather
> than just getting away with it because the police don't have the
> resources.

I was proposing the 'inability of policing' solution in response to some
legal systems treating encrypted data with no key as a worst-case scenario
if you couldn't, or wouldn't provide the key.

> >Though
> >once that policing is done, the legal ramifications are currently the
same.

> it's what *you* don't know that can't hurt you, not what the cops don't
know.

Not in all societies.
What the cops don't know is a good fallback plan for the failings of the
legal system, anyway.

> >Making the policing hard in an initial implimentation makes sense to get
the
> >network to scale.
>
> ??  see above.
> i believe it is simple ettiquette to encrypt all traffic i am
> expecting my neighbour to pass on for me.

Yes indeed.  This might also get around the whole internet provision
thing... encrypted tunneling...  That's assuming the legal system takes the
stance that one has to prove the tunnel is providing internet, rather than
putting the onus of proof onto the defendant (which happens suprisingly, and
dissapointingly often thesedays).
Of course, also disspointing legally is that it appears to require a carrier
license if you pass on any data on someone elses behalf, regardless if it's
encrypted, or not.  Back to the 'obscurity' solution for pseudo-legality, it
seems?

> >unless
> >  > >>  someone is sitting there taking a copy of the network layer data,
> ///
> >  > >Which ASIO will do they moment they smell a rat, and they probably
WILL
> >ANYWAY
>
> why?  as far as we can tell, this is all perfectly legal and innocent
> community empowerment self help information age rah rah rah.  we
> should all get bloody medals.

Dreaming.  We live in a capitalist society.  Of course, it's a nice dream...
mmmmm... medals... ;)

> >  > ASIO can obtain a warrant to enter your system, retrieve and alter
> >  > data, and remove any and all trace of their entry.
> ///
> >small steps that seem innocent enough lead to a downward slide...
>
> when did this ever seem innocent?

It's not, but it took a long time coming.  First there was censorship of
data communications leveraged through conservative mummies supporting
protecting the kids from data on bombs and porn... then that led on, and on,
and then we wind up with rediculous shit like the legalised hacking and
planting of evidence.  I don't understand why any legal, moral, or social
system does, should, would or _could_ consider this moral, right or even
necessary.  I suppose they're lucky they've got the censorship laws to
silence people from talking about the travesty's against humanity that're
created by the governments enabling of legalised hacking.   (*chuckle* i'm
sounding like one of those loonie hippy type people (*no offence intended
:))

> >  > The Defense Signals Directorate can (as of this week) legally spy on
> >>  communications between Australian citizens if they are deemed to be
> >>  engaged in activities which (amongst other provisions) pose a threat
> >>  to Australia's national security *or*economic*wellbeing*
> >
> >Yeah, that's worrying isn't it.  "Umm, your ubiquitous public network is
> >reducing the amount of tax we make off communicaitons carriers.  Jail
time"

> >Scary stuff.  And wrong, in my opinion.  We should be standing up and
> >fighting against silly legal infractions on what I think are socially
> >reasonable rights.
>
> this is the same government which tried to make it illegal for public
> service employees to blow the whistle on illegal government activity

*shudder*  The downhill slide...  Either the majority is blind, or we're
just being too paranoid, and these sillly laws are unenforcable, and only
get introduced to get evolved out because of their unworkability.

I should become the benevolant dictator...  That way I can repeat the
mistakes of history myself than electing some knob to do it for me *grin*
Ben.