[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Security issues -was- Applications

Clae clae13 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 05:41:33 EST 2002

>At least by encrypting everything we've protected
>individual nodes by the difficulty of actually policing the network.

no, we've protected individual nodes by the impossibility of *their*
knowing what the traffic contains.  this is legal protection, rather
than just getting away with it because the police don't have the
resources.

>Though
>once that policing is done, the legal ramifications are currently the same.

it's what *you* don't know that can't hurt you, not what the cops don't know.

>Making the policing hard in an initial implimentation makes sense to get the
>network to scale.

??  see above.
i believe it is simple ettiquette to encrypt all traffic i am
expecting my neighbour to pass on for me.

>unless
>  > >>  someone is sitting there taking a copy of the network layer data,
///
>  > >Which ASIO will do they moment they smell a rat, and they probably WILL
>ANYWAY

why?  as far as we can tell, this is all perfectly legal and innocent
community empowerment self help information age rah rah rah.  we
should all get bloody medals.

>  > ASIO can obtain a warrant to enter your system, retrieve and alter
>  > data, and remove any and all trace of their entry.
///
>small steps that seem innocent enough lead to a downward slide...

when did this ever seem innocent?

>  > The Defense Signals Directorate can (as of this week) legally spy on
>>  communications between Australian citizens if they are deemed to be
>>  engaged in activities which (amongst other provisions) pose a threat
>>  to Australia's national security *or*economic*wellbeing*
>
>Yeah, that's worrying isn't it.  "Umm, your ubiquitous public network is
>reducing the amount of tax we make off communicaitons carriers.  Jail time"
>
>Scary stuff.  And wrong, in my opinion.  We should be standing up and
>fighting against silly legal infractions on what I think are socially
>reasonable rights.

this is the same government which tried to make it illegal for public
service employees to blow the whistle on illegal government activity

thank god for bob brown