Network defences, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

Ben Anderson a_neb at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 20 03:35:18 EST 2002

> > The routing tech I'm talking about has nothing to do with 2.4ghz.  It
> could
> > use any available method of transferring data from one point to another.
> > Anything.  Fibre, IR diodes, CB's, CAT5, radio interfaces, 802.11,
> 802.11a,
> > 802.11b, x, y, z, anything!
> >
> > Ben. :)
> >
> Mister Anderson ... in my opinion, that last statement was all that was
> needed to comprehend the idea in the first place.
>
> You seem to want a new network protocol, while we are still using 802.11b
> (for now) and the current wireless network protocols in an ad-hoc fashion
> until a easy, reliable way to organise routing for a mesh of wireless
areas
> can be used. while it's nice to rebound your ideas to 300 + participants
of
> the mailing list (purely a guesstimate), there are two better places for
> this kind of discussion.

802.11b is a physical layer protocol, not a network layer protocol.
I don't think this type of discussion is inappropriate for this mailing
list -- it's sure a lot more appropriate (and useful) than the penis
flopping that happened re committee etc last week....  But if there's a
consensus that it's inappropriate, I suppose I can look elsewhere...

> one is the wiki, two is IRC on #melb-wireless, or possibly three, another
> discussion group outside of melbourne-wireless , or a forum with wider
> technical goals and knowledge in which to engage your ideas.

1.  Haven't learnt how to use wiki yet.  Intend to soon.
2.  Been using #melb-wireless.  It's difficult to talk about a complex
scenario on irc, as state quickly disappears from the conversation...  long
paragraphs are needed, and peoples attentions wander to other things.  Email
is a lot more appropriate for hardcore serious discussions.
3.  I haven't seen any statement of goal for this forum, and judging by the
generally positive response, it's not (or shouldn't be?) outside the
accepted scope of this forum.

> Not that i wish to disparage you, but we are not network engineers by
trade,
> and the elements of this discussion are far outside the goals of this
little
> group. sydney wireless has a forum and a mailing list, and they don't
> discriminate for members being in melboune, there are packet radio forums
> and mailing lists, there are groups like 2600 who like to tinker (ok..
hack)
> with all things technical, there are network forums and chat/discussions
> where you will find more fruitful discussions and precise ways of
organising
> and doing the things you want to do. but i have a feeling this is taking
the
> list off onto a tangent where the majority on the list will not benefit,
and
>  will be hindered by ongoing discussion. we'd still like to know details,
> but you have probably evolved this idea beyond the current state (& future
> direction) of the network and the discussion list.

I know not everyone is a network engineer.  Not everyone should be either.
I have been receiving a very good response from the discussions on this
email list about this so far.
If there's really a consensus about me taking this elsewhere, I'll find
somewhere else and leave the list to return to dick-flopping committee stuff
(eek, I just re-read that....  harsh, but justifiable, I think ;)

> in other words... please move this thread off the list.  please.

I'll wait for consensus on the issue, if you don't mind.

Ben.