[MLB-WIRELESS] IP addressing, OSPF and a .plan

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Sat Mar 16 00:15:35 EST 2002

Hey, I've got a neat idea.

Lets just use IPv6.

Why aren't we supporting IPv6?

and for that matter, why aren't we supporting IPv5??

Nah, look, here's a compromise. Since IPv6 is too far away, and IPv4
has no addresses for us... we'll use IPv5.

Or, what's with this IP stuff anyway? DOOM uses IPX, that's all I
need, and last I heard you don't need an addressing scheme for IPX,
it's all done for you. And there's none of that overhead caused by
"error checking and correcting" .. who needs that sh*t anyway?

Now, where was I? Oh yes, I was bitching about the amount of noise on
the mailing list, oh, that and the speed. it all *should* be running
on exchange 5.5 .. what is this "sendmail" stuff anyway? That's part of
that pirate "free" software movement and that hacker operating
software "LINUX" .. or was that "RED HAT"? I always get those two
mixed up. :)

-- Will.

> Jason Brice wrote:

>>"I don't see public IP addresses as being an option, as IP(v4) addresses
>>are
>>a scarce resource, and we're not likely to interconnect with the
>>Internet
>>for some time anyway."
>>

>>shouldn't we at least approach someone before we decide that public
>>address space is not feasible? Is it really responsible of us to assume
>>we wont get what we want and leave it at that?
>>
> this discussion has come and gone too many times already, and dont take
> this the wrong way, but you're the 254th person to join the list, a lot
> has been discussed before you got here. personally I'd rather NOT have
> globally routable IP's on this network, even if it was available.

> snip

>>Id love to help out/head up the team/offer advice, or whatever.
>>
>>lets get things right the first time :)
>>
> sounds good, if you come up with a plan, add it to the wiki for the rest
> to discuss.

> -Drew

> --
> IRC at: au.austnet.org #melb-wireless

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759