[MLB-WIRELESS] IP addressing, OSPF and a .plan

Justin littlejuz at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 15 23:39:52 EST 2002

Well,

 Look like I got the response I wanted :)

 Speaking of groups, I was going to suggest working groups,
 but cut it out of my message as it sounded a little to much
 to start with and a little too much like a corporate wank
 word ;) Great idea, count me in please.

 Let me spew comments. If I'm wrong on any part, someone
 please tell me.

 Ok, for addressing. Having just been through the spin off of
 Agilent Technologies from Hewlett Packard, I think the group
 has Buckleys chance of getting an internet routed subnet that
 will be big enough for Victoria. We have a better chance
 of winning PowerBall than getting something like a subnet the
 size of the old class A subnet or several class Bs. We might
 be lucky and get the minimum allocation of 4096 IPs, but who
 is going to pay the US$2500 and will it be enough addresses?
 I think to get IPs you need to demonstrate how many IPs you
 will use in a 1 - 2 year period, not just how many you want.

 Also, if we get a real routed subnet what are we going to do
 with it? Connect it to the internet? Can't connect it to
 someone's private BigPond or Optusnet cable unless you want
 to get us shutdown / sued. We will need to pay for a link
 somehow at thousands of dollars a month plus any traffic
 at 10 - 12 cents per Meg.

 Does anyone think any of the big guys will leave us alone
 once they find out we will be giving free internet access
 away? Doubt it. If we charge users then do we lose the non
 commercial status and open up a whole new legal can-o-worms?
 Imagine the size / number of internet links we will need if
 we offer free internet access and the public all jump on,
 assuming we want the network to survive the load.

 I vote Net 10 for clients now, and have a plan. If we need
 to change it later, at least we know what to change and have
 some structure to base the future of the network and future
 changes on.

 For the interconnecting links, who cares about using internet
 routable IPs, they don't need to be. I vote net 172.16.blah.

 The whole point of having a plan is to have some structure,
 and I regard this as direct opposite of 'haphazard'. Seems
 a hell of a lot more structured than what there is at the
 moment.

 Opps, I crapped on for a bit :) Better stop now.

Regards,
Gaz.

Oh, and the names Gary. I'm just using an email account I
named after my son, Justin. he is named after his uncle,
so we call them big Juz and little Juz. Anyway....