[MLB-WIRELESS] (Squid Proxy) Paths clearing for wireless networks

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Tue Jun 18 12:05:11 EST 2002

Jason Clarke said :

>This doesn't cover the data that you've already downloaded does it?
>
>I mean, what if I download adobe acrobat reader, whack it on a CD and give
>it to my friend next door (who can't get cable, go figure). Wouldn't that
>contravene this point?

I would believe that the AUP would infer that aslong as it was part of the
customers immediate LAN that was requesting the data it doesn't matter
where else it goes from there. As such a direct squid proxy would be
disallowed as external (read: wireless ) clients could request any data
they wanted. Where as the squid proxy cached only would be the same as
burning stuff to a cd and walking next door. The difference being "no extra
burden from 3rd parties" onto the ISP's network between the original
customer and the ISP.

I'm not a solicitor but I would think that would be a reasonable
interperation of the AUP.\

The only holes I can see with this would be.

1. Automated "web reaper" type clients that would cache popular sites with
the express purpose of making it available to 3rd party (wireless)
networks.
2. Delayed download requests. ie. latest linux iso's? But wouldn't this
come under the "guy next door asked me to burn this for him after I said I
had downloaded it" type arrangment. Some people might have some of these
dsl peak/offpeak deals. Which which they could get data at times in which
they don't normally use it for squid caching etc.

Just checked my ISP agreement and found this.

"The customer will pay for all usage on their account, whether by the
customer or anyone who accesses the account
directly or indirectly by means of the customer's password or equipment.
The customer must not transfer,
sell or share ADSL Internet access, but is responsible for all usage on
their account if they do so."

Seems like I can't legally share direct net access.

Lucas