[MLB-WIRELESS] (Squid Proxy) Paths clearing for wireless networks

Jason Clarke midwaym19 at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 18 11:32:55 EST 2002

See below.

----- Original Message -----
From: <fenn_b at smktech.com.au>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:23 AM
Subject: RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] (Squid Proxy) Paths clearing for wireless
networks

> > This is a damn good question.
> >

> This is a damn good question. I just read Optus cable's T's and C's +

I thought so too!

> AUP and came up with the following (not promising):
>
> The first one isn't too bad, it goes downhill from there:
> ----------
> 8. Bandwidth, Data Storage and Other Limitations
> 8.1.The Service is a residential consumer product that must only be used
> for personal use of the Internet by you and the residents of your
> household. For example, the Service does not provide the type of
> security, upstream performance and total downstream throughput
> capability typically associated with commercial use.

This doesn't cover the data that you've already downloaded does it?

I mean, what if I download adobe acrobat reader, whack it on a CD and give
it to my friend next door (who can't get cable, go figure). Wouldn't that
contravene this point?

> ----------
> 8.8 You must not resell, share or otherwise distribute the Service (or
> any portion thereof) to any third party without the prior written
> consent of Optus. For example, you must not provide Internet access to
> others through a dial up or wireless connection, host shell accounts
> over the Internet, provide email or news service or send a news feed.
> ----------

I guess this one is a matter of interpretation, No we can't allow some one
to get the latest kernel via our connection, how ever, if it happens to be
that I've downloaded it via the proxy and it's still there and some one else
gets it from the proxy, there's nothing wrong with that in /MY/ eyes.

> 8.9 You must not run network services or provide network services to
> others via the Service. The use of a Local Area Network (LAN) for
> personal use is permitted. The OptusNet Cable residential service
> includes personal WebSpace accounts for publishing personal web pages.
> Examples of prohibited use include, but are not limited to, providing
> network services for e-mail, http, (Hypertext Transfer Protocol) ftp,
> (File Transfer Protocol) irc, (Internet Relay Chat) dhcp (Dynamic Host
> Configuration Protocol) or multi-user interactive forums.

Ok, so we can't run servers to serve via the connection, no big deal for a
wlan as I'll have a DMZ anyway.

> Hah! They even picked up on the wireless thing. How annoying.
> Interestingly enough, their AUP contradicts itself, it says it cannot be
> used for commercial purposes, and then states:
>
> "if the misuse was committed by a friend, family member, guest, employee
> or customer with access to your Service"
>
> Employee or customer? That's a weird family :\

I fine my mother when she smokes in my place :-)