(Archive Copy) RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Paths clearing for wireless networks

Rowan Wainwright-Smith Rowan at teleaudit.com
Tue Jun 18 10:53:21 EST 2002

Tony Langdon wrote:

> > This is definitely the way that I see MW operating. We are
> > not here to make
> > money from anyone. If the group manages to negotiate a deal
> > with any ISP (for
> > access to the network) then all usage costs would surely be
> > passed directly to
> > the users who happen to incur, them WITHOUT a profit margin.
>
> Well,in an ideal world, we could just share out our cable connections and
> have nice decentralised bandwidth.  Trouble is that even if the ACA give us
> the nod (which there is a real possibility :) ), most broadband AUPs don't
> allow this sort of connection sharing, so our other option is to buy
> connectivity specifically for MW and recover our costs.

Yeah.... what ideal world!!! lol, however, there are other ways around that
little problem of the AUPs not allowing the connections.... just really need to
set the routing up properly... and use a single PC to control the connection
direct to the AUP, and have the clients connected to the PC instead (have done
this for a client... have even got the Windoze software for it)

> If the cable sharing could be made to work legally, there would be an
> argument for supporting IPv6 as well as IPv4 up to the APs  (oops, did I say
> something religious in here? LOL), since while IPv4 would require NAT, IPv6
> can be fully routed (I'm doing that combination myself).

wouldn't that be nice.....  :)

> Somehow, I don't see the ISPs coming to the party, unless the ACCC leans on
> them a bit...  so we may be using our structure and legal status to purchase
> wholesale connectivity, if we get the nod from the ACA...

/me leans on ACA & ACCC
We deal with the ACA of a fairly regular basis..... stranger things have been
known to happen around us.....

> One technical and negotiating hiccup though is unlike APANA, we'd be better
> off with a multitude of smaller pipes spread over the metro area, rather
> than one big pipe smack in the middle (again, the shared cable modem idea
> would have served this well).

I'm with you on this one.....  :) .... the company I work for does  this type of
stuff... (network dimensioning etc...) and this model has served our clients
VERY well in the past.

> Anyway, let's see what the umpire's decision is. :)

uh huh!

Rowan