[MLB-WIRELESS] Electrical guinesses step forward !

David Ng nudge at d2.net.au
Wed Jun 12 11:24:13 EST 2002

Building a IR reciever for your computer isnt to hard to do.
I've built one using parts sourced from a local Dick Smith.

Part listings and prices are below:
R1090 Resistor 4k7 $0.04
Z1955 Sensor IR buffered Rcvr w/ Lens $6.50
Z6108 LM 78L05CZ +5V 100mA V/Reg $1.00
Z3120 Diode 1N4148 Small Signal $0.06
P2686 9-Pin Sub-D Plasitc Backshell $2.20
P2685 9-Pin Sub-D Solder Tail Socket $1.35
R4295 Cap Electro RB 1.0 uF 50WV $0.20

Follow the schematic shown here:
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html
http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif

...and the assembly instructions here (but by using the above components and
schematic):
http://www.heatseekerz.net/index.php?page=articles&articleid=4&page_number=1

And you should be right!
Its handy because the entire IR reciever fits snugly into a 9-pin serial
port connector!

For windows, you'll need the two following programs to drive the IR reciever
and to control windows:
http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/ (WinLIRC)
http://www.girder.nl/ (Girder)

For linux, you can just use:
http://www.lirc.org/ (LIRC)

I should also mention that I have heard that it is possible to build an IR
reciever by using the Line-In input on your soundcard.
Instructions are here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60426
I havent tried it myself, but looks rather simple!

Hope this helps,
nudge.