[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna Gain Testing?

bchild at wireless.org.au bchild at wireless.org.au
Fri Jun 7 09:18:09 EST 2002

Tony,

>I have concerns about the practicalities of this, but I don't see any
>problems in going with published antenna gain claims, and calculating EIRP
>based on those.  Home brew antennas, in particular, are likely to have
>somewhat lower gain than the theory suggests (usually due to manufacturing
>imperfections).  There is many an amateur who has taken his "killer" antenna
>down to a range in an antenna competition, only to find the gain was nothing
>like he thought! :)

You mentioned on another thread about amateurs going places to test their
"killer" antennas do any amateurs that you know of do or have the equipment
for testing in this part of the spectrum??

Would give people a fair idea of exactly how good their antennas would be
and what they could expect out of them, definitely would make working out
EIRP limits alot easier if you knew the gain of your homebrew antennas?

Anyone know of any people for that matter, that would like to volunteer
their time and equipment into helping people work out their gain and patterns?

Glen Brunning
Hardware Tech
Melbourne Wireless