[MLB-WIRELESS] Orientation of antennas

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Mon Jul 15 18:20:43 EST 2002

Ahhh,

Grasshopper, you have not maintained the correct orientation of the
gridlines on the dish with the dipole.

I remember at Questacon in Canberra years ago they had an experiment where
some low power microwave radiation was vertically polarised and transmitted
to a receiver a few metres away.  You were given a flat metal grid with all
the grid lines going in one direction, there were no cross bracing grid
lines at all.  This was the polariser.  As you span it around, the power
level of the microwave was altered, letting through a proportionate
amount.  Have the grid 90 degrees to the orientation of the transmitted
signal and none got through (the representative tone would disappear).

So yes, your ex-Galaxy antenna's grid must be aligned the same as the
dipole, else forget it actually reflecting anything, it'll just let most of
the signal pass right through it.