[MLB-WIRELESS] Orientation of antennas

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jul 15 18:01:29 EST 2002

I have an antenna orientation question too.....not quite as dumb I hope ;-p

Okay, the waveguide on my AP is horizontally polarised, so of course if
you're connecting with a galaxy or similar dish you have to swing it around
90 degrees from the usual orientation.  However, one of my client
connections is using one of my commercial 24's, which allows you to just
spin the dipole 90 degrees instead of the whole dish, thus you get the full
use of the adjustments on the dish mounts.
.....however, after putting up with a mysterious shite signal for a few
months I pulled it down to try something else, span the dipole back to the
original orientation and instead spun the whole dish........and whola!!
Connection jumps from something like -85 to -70.
So my question is, does the reflector itself somehow have an effect on the
polarisation??  I thought it was just the dipole itself?