[MLB-WIRELESS] Testing Field Day - Delayed

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Thu Jul 11 09:26:40 EST 2002

Thanks to everyone who responded! Looks like we're gonna be short a little
bit of gear, so we might wait it out until some of these bulk buys come
through (omni's in particular!). Probably atleast a few weeks.
It looks like we may finally get around to throwing an AP up on mt dande
this weekend anyway (atleast for testing!). If anyone want's to be
involved, come and see me at the meeting.

Darren Dreis
IT Manager
NDP Consulting
Tel 03 9548 9444  Fax 03 9548 9040

                    darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
                    Sent by:                        To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
                    owner-melbwireless at wirel        cc:
                    ess.org.au                      Subject:     [MLB-WIRELESS] Testing Field Day

                    08/07/2002 04:47 PM

Hi All, we are trying to put together a field test day so we can collect
some data to create a 'case study' on interference between wireless
networks and it's affect on performance.

We're hoping to create a test environment made up of around 3 AP's and say
20 or so Clients. The venue will be in a large park or field probably in
the eastern suburbs. If the testing is succesful we can move the AP's up to
Mt Dande for some longer range testing.

At this stage we want to use only 'off the shelf' products so there are as
few 'unknowns' as possible. To make this a success, we will require the
following:

3 AP's with ext antenna connectors or a N tail
3 Omni Antennas (any type)
12v Inverters or Largish UPS'
Some 2-way or CB gear (for the longer distance stuff)
20 or so people with notebooks and Netstumbler capable cards
Some Legit (ie not modified) directional antennas
Pigtails, cable etc.

Not all the clients need to have external ants, but we'd like atleast a few
for longer distance testing. If time permits we can use some 'home brew'
antenna after the main tests are complete. Pending a succesful trial of an
AP on Mt Dande, we should be able to have one permanently located there.

Please reply email me directly if you can contribute some time and
equipment to this project. No date has been set yet, this weekend would be
great, but I'm open to suggestions.

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.