[MLB-WIRELESS] Fwd: [mesh] WOAH!

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 2 18:48:07 EST 2002

At 12:53 PM +1000 1/7/02, KevinL wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 13:02, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>  to throw a cat amoung the pidgeons....
>>
>>  why are we wanting to set up a pipe?
>>
>>  Why don't we let the ISPs come to us? we provide the existing
>>network, the ISP
>>  takes care of billing etc... lets make our network work for us, not against
>>  us...
>
>There's very few ISP's that have the tech available (and the time, and
>the interest) to provide billing down to individual users within an
>organisation.  Most likely, any ISP that rolled 'net access up to "our
>doorstep", would provide billing on a per-Mb or per-pipe basis, to the
>whole organisation, and let us deal with figuring out who pays for what
>bit.
>
>That means we're almost certainly in the position where, if 'net access
>is to traverse the network at any point, someone's going to have to do
>something about monitoring it, both in terms of tracking resource use
>for provisioning (and that applies to all heavily-trafficked internal
>links, too, ideally), and in terms of working out who pays how much.
>
>As far as I can see, Airnet's offer is essentially the same as anyone
>else's offer - they can provide bandwidth, they'll do it cheapish
>because they like community groups, but that's it.  The one thing that
>_is_ intruiging (I found buried amongst everything else on whirlpool),
>is that he's offering Nominated Carrier Declarations for community
>groups that can show their installs are of sufficient quality.
>
>That'd mean we _could_ legally carry third-party traffic over the
>wireless network.  The practicalities of managing such would, I suspect,
>be too much to deal with at the moment, but it's an interesting
>thought...

It certainly is interesting.

How about the committee writes back something polite indicating the
stage we are up to, and that we would be looking at such offers
further down the track?

Legals aside, I can certainly see this kind of arrangement being a
bonus for us.  Not everyone can afford to support two broadband
pipes, two different NICs, either in time or $ terms.  And it would
allow us to offer bb to other non-profits, which is personally one of
the reasons i see a community network existing in the first place.

Clae.

--
David Clae Gason
Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au
http://wireless.org.au

i hate anarchists. i think there should be a law against them  -tahl